Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

30 Things: Question 6

This is actually a really hard question for me to answer. So far, it's my least favorite. But this project is about being vulnerable and open, so here you go.

6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?

The thing that stands out the most is the issues that went on between me and my parents from when I was 16 until I got married at 22. That was, by far, the most difficult period of my life, due chiefly to my very strained relationship with my parents. I don’t want to go into too much detail, since I’ve begun working on healing from the pain that they caused me during that time and throughout my childhood. Suffice it to say that we had nearly weekly fights over some very petty things. They said terrible things to me and called me names and in general were some of the least supportive people I know. I nearly ran away so I’d never have to see them again on multiple occasions. The things they said and did while I was a teenager has damaged our relationship in ways I can't even describe.

I am just now starting to deal with many of the issues that have resulted from my childhood and I pray that someday I will be able to put them all in the past and have some sort of healthy relationship with my parents. But I am getting through it. I recognize it for what it was and I am learning to rewrite my self-image. The Lord is using that pain and hurt to draw me closer to Him and make me a better wife. I know that the scars of those things will never go away, but I also know that eventually they won’t be so fresh and I will be able to use them to point others to the redeeming love of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment