Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Where Ideas Come From

Lots of writers talk about where their ideas come from, or even just where ideas come from in general. It's something they're asked about constantly. "Where'd you get the idea for that?" "How did you come up with this?" How writers come up with they're ideas seem to be something everyone is obsessed with. Famous authors often tell us. Stephanie Meyer got the idea for Twilight from a dream. (Not that I like Twilight. I'm just using it as an example.) So where have I gotten the ideas for the stories I write? Today I tell you.

My current WIP is probably my oldest idea. I have to say it's also probably one of the oddest. It started with a name. My MC's name actually. I stumbled across the name somewhere and saw that it (supposedly) meant "from a distant place." (Of course, now when I look up that name, it doesn't mean that, but I swear it did on that day. Weird huh?) From that name's meaning came this idea that has over the past ten years (I was 15 when inspiration struck :) turned into a novel somehow (still not totally sure how it happened. But it did, and I love it.)

Some of my other ideas for stories came from a random phrase, just one line or another. Out of them sprang entire story lines and characters. I haven't gotten a chance to flesh out some of them, but others certainly show potential. Others came from games that my brother and I came up with when we were kids. A couple others (only two) came from dreams that I had (yeah I know. It's a little nuts, but hey, it happened). Still others came from watching movies, reading books, and lots of other places.

I'm hoping that a few of these ideas will turn into more novels. With a lot of work, some of them might. Others I know are destined to stay the little snippets they started out as. If you
re lucky, maybe you'll get to see some of them when I get them published.

Now it's time to go back to resting (I got sick this morning, so I've been resting all day, per the better half). I plan to post another blog on Thursday. See y'all then.

No comments:

Post a Comment