Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Writing Prompt Wednesday: Cracks, T-Shirt, Deck Chair

Here is this week’s writing prompt. I went with Sixth Sense Cards from the Writer’s Tool Box this week.

The cards:
A sidewalk with a crack
The smell of the t-shirt from a B-52’s concert
A lime green deck chair

---

I sit on the steps to my porch, staring at the crack in the sidewalk. It’s been there forever, since I was a little girl. I don’t even remember what made it. One day it wasn’t there and the next it was. It’s grown slowly over the years, like I have, changed as the seasons come and go. It almost reaches from one side of the path to the other, tiny tendril crack spiking off of it like veins from an artery. A dandelion has sprouted from one section, its green leaves covering up portions of the crack, hiding it from my view with the jagged edges. It’s bright yellow flower waves at me in the light wind, garish and haughty in it’s vibrancy.

That breeze carries with it a familiar scent, the smell of the t-shirt from a b-52s concert. I don’t even know why he likes that band or how he got it. BUt it’s the smell of him, strong with the musk of bodies and beer and smoke mixed together with his grapefruit shampoo. It’s what I smelled the day we first met and it’s what I smell now as he walks up that cracked sidewalk toward me.

“Hey?” He says, and I see the dark blue and the logo of that hauntingly familiar shirt.

“Hey.” I reply, not sure if I should smile or frown. The smile wins.

“Can I join you?” he asks. I nod, but instead of letting him sit on the tiny steps, I move and he follows. We settle into the lime green deck chairs that are tucked into the corner of the porch. My mom bought them at a flea market, since they are her favorite color. Seeing them always cheers me up.

“So…?” he asks, his finger rubbing the armrest of his chair. There’s a small patch on the chair where the paint has chipped and my mom hasn’t gotten around to fixing it. His finger moves to worry the edge between the lime green and the plain wood underneath and I’m fascinated watching it move back and forth.

Finally, I remember he asked me a question.

---

Yea, once more I really don’t know where it was going, but these exercises are fun.

Friday I’ll do my next question in the 30 Questions.

Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment