Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Writing Prompt Wednesday: Forbidden

I wanted to see where just writing from the first sentence prompt would take me, without having to work in other things. I've come up with interesting things doing that in the past, so that's what I decided to do this week. I planned to write for ten minutes, though I went a little longer than that. Not by much though.

Here is the prompt this week: There I was, just standing there, when what I wanted to do was forbidden. I

---

There I was, just standing there, when what I wanted to do was forbidden. Social customs forbid me from walking up to anyone of a higher rank and introducing myself. Or slapping them. Actually, they forbid me from introducing myself doing anything of any consequence in public. Being a woman often felt like the most constraining type of existence.

Across the room, the Marquis of Farron smiled and greeted guests while I stood, my corset pressing into my rib cage and my mother twittering away beside me. Why did I even care? I wondered as I watched him kiss the hand of another debutante while she simpered up at him. So he'd slighted me and my family by ignoring us. I shouldn't care what a stuffed suit thought of us.

And yet, I did.

Taking a deep breath to keep from sighing, I turned away. I needed to distract myself or I would get in trouble again. Mother was always telling me I was too impetuous, to fiery. Men didn't want a wife who would challenge them, she insisted. They want nice, demure things who just smiled and did what they were told. Unfortunately for her, I would never be that girl.

Shaking my head, I stepped away from the wall and Mother, who continued to talk to my sister. I needed air and I'd hear that the Marquis had lovely gardens at this house. Twisting and turning, I made my way through the throngs. Why did I let Mother bring me to these things? There were too many people, the air pressing against me like heavy hot hands, suffocating and inescapable.

Finally, after what felt like hours but was really only minutes, I stepped through the massive glass doors onto a beautifully sweeping terrace bordered by carefully manicured foliage. A few people occupied different places along the railing, groups of friends or couples sneaking some times alone together. At the far end, I found a small section unoccupied in a corner that had too much light to appeal to couples but not enough room to appeal to the groups of friends.

With a sigh, I leaned up against the railing, finally relaxing now that I was away from all the people and could finally breathe.

---

I have no idea where this was going. It is certainly interesting though. I wonder what would have happened next. And why did my character hate the Marquis so very much? Maybe one day I'll keep writing this and find out.

Friday I'll post the next 30 Things question.

Until Then

No comments:

Post a Comment