Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

The Value of Critiques

So last week I decided that I really needed to find some people to critique my novel before I started submitting it. Call it intuition, call it being scared out of my mind to start sending it out, call it whatever you want. Either way, I got my butt in gear and started looking for people who would want to partner with me and provide some feedback.

Turns out that it was a good idea on my part (getting critiques usually is). It looks like my novel needed a lot more work than I thought. And that is why I went looking for someone to critique it. Because I have spent so much time with the novel that I wasn't able to see it clearly any more and needed another pair of eyes (or two).

Of course, like any critique, there are some things that I don't necessarily agree with in the feedback I got. There are always suggestions that don't quite work with what I'm trying to do in the story or deviate too far from my goal. But overall, I found the suggestions very helpful. And very challenging.

I have some thinking to do as I decide how to dive into the next set of revisions on this novel.

Come back next time work Listy Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment