Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Writing Prompt Wednesday - Legacy

Welcome to Writing Prompt Wednesday! I’ve been having so much fun with these first sentences, that I kept going with that. This one comes from here.

The prompt is: After she’d told me it was “high time” I knew my family legacy, my grandmother turned, pulled the box from the closet and handed it to me.

~~~

After she’d told me it was “high time” I knew my family legacy, my grandmother turned, pulled the box from the closet and handed it to me. I stared at the box for a moment, taking in the whorls in it’s grain and the well worn look of it.

“What in here?” I asked, looked back at her.

“Open it and find out.”

I bit my lip and hesitated. What if what was in the box changed everything I knew about myself? Who was I kidding, I knew it would.

Shaking my head, I slowly opened the lid of the box. In side sat a number of black and white pictures and a jeweled dagger. Frowning I pulled out the pictures and looked at them.

They were images of various people, all close in their late teens or early twenties, but who must be close my my grandmother’s age now. Both women and men stood together, some with arms slung around each other and smiling, others standing a little apart. Blinking, I realized I recognized two of the people in this photo. It was my grandmother and my grandfather, holding hands and beaming at the camera.

Looking at another one, I found yet another group shot, this one set some forty or fifty years later. This time, I quickly found my mother and father in the group, though they weren’t together. In fact, they stood on opposite sides of the picture. This struck me as strange, since they’d been nearly inseparable before they died a few years before.

Every single person in the pictures had one of the jeweled daggers.

Frowning, I looked up at my grandmother. “Who are these people? Why do they have the daggers?”

“Those pictures show the Order of the Dagger,” she replied, “Everyone in our family has been a member since its inception 200 years ago. I met your grandfather through them. Your mother and father also met thanks to the order.”

“But what does the Order do?” I asked, trying to get my head around what she was telling me.

“We are charged with protecting the world from dangerous magics and magical creatures.” She was completely serious.

I stared at her, not quite believing her, but then something clicked together in my head. Voice quivering, I asked, “Mom and Dad didn’t die in a car crash, did they?”

My grandmother looked at me for several long moments. “No Hattie. They didn’t.”

~~~

Well that was fun. I have a feeling this prompt could spawn something fun. Hopefully I get to develop it further some day.

Tell me what you think about it down in the comments.

Come back Friday for 30 Things.

Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment