Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Writing Prompt Wednesday: Inappropriately Pink

Here is this week’s writing prompt. I used a First Sentence from the Writer’s Tool Box this week.

The sentence:
I was dressed in a completely inappropriate shade of pink.

~~~

I was dressed in a completely inappropriate shade of pink. It was truly the worst possible color I could be dressed in. It was the same shade as that bubblegum everyone chews when they are five and it gets stuck everywhere and you wind up having to get a terrible haircut because Suzy accidently put some in your hair.

Unfortunately, I had no control over this particular shade of pink, since it was the color my sister had decided she wanted her bridesmaids to wear. It would have been fine, if we were all five year old girls going to a princess party. But we weren’t. Instead, four 20-something women would have to stand up in front of 300 people in the ghastly shade of pink and there was absolutely nothing we could do about it.

I was still contemplating the trainwreck that was my dress when someone pounded on my door, saying “Are you decent?” two seconds before barging in.

“Marc!” I yelled, “I told you to wait for an answer!”

My best friend shrugged and started to say something but stopped when he caught sight of me in my full length mirror. “What are you wearing?” He asked, his brown eyes going wide.

“It’s for Sheri’s wedding,” I moaned, burying my face in my hands.

“What is she thinking?” The horror and amusement in his voice made me want to throw something at him.

“I don’t know. I’ve never understood why women insist on tormenting their bridesmaids with truly horrendous outfits. I swear, when I get married, my girls are getting drop dead gorgeous dresses.”

Marc snorted, so I picked up one of the soft stress balls sitting on my desk and chucked it at him. It just made him laugh as he easily ducked out of the way. “Shut up.” I told him, “And get out. I need to change. I wouldn’t want to get anything on this before the big day.”

This time he full on laughed, so I picked up three more stress balls and threw them at him in rapid succession. Only the third one hit. I’m not the best aim.

Finally Marc left, and I got started on climbing out of the terrible dress. Maybe I could convince Sheri to change her mind. Sure we’d already bought the dresses, but surely once she saw how terrible it looked on me, she’d listen to reason. Right?

~~~

This actually wound up drawing on a couple of characters I’ve had sitting around for a while but have never done anything serious with. It worked out a bit better than I thought and I wound up with a slightly more complete scene than usual. That’s cool at least.

Tell me what you thought down in the comments. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Okay. Friday is the next question in 30 Things.

Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment